Monday, August 3, 2009

Moldy Monday

So my red potatoes and my tomatoes have early blight. What is early blight, you may ask? It is a mold that attacks the leaves of your plant (and in some cases the fruit) starting as small black dots that eventually take over the leaves, and kill the entire branch the leaves are sprouted from. I have a very good friend from Wyoming (my gardening guru) who told me to treat my plants with a solution of 1/4 cup chlorox to a gallon of water. I have been doing that every morning since the blight has removed 98% of the leaves on my potato plants. There are new leaves budding from the main stalk, so I am trying to keep them safe from the spores attacking by spraying them with the solution. My tomatoes are in Topsy Turvies, and the fruit are doing well, but the leaves look very sick. This has been such a wet summer. My cukes, on the other hand, seem to be growing on steroids. I have only one plant and it is over 5 feet long now. It has already harvested three 10" cukes, and has 20 more flowers on the main vine (with two 6" cukes almost ready to pick). Weird, just weird.

So here is where I have visited this morning:

Uppity Woman - she has "Uncle Jay Explains" on her blog. Very funny video. I know you will enjoy it.

Reclusive Leftist - Violet Socks talks about Meme-orandum and how, yet again, "news" about Sarah Palin is not even accurate gossip.

The New Agenda
- great piece by Anna Belle about "What Every Woman Should Know about a Woman's Traditional Path to Power."

Gotta go spray the taters and tomaters!

Keep away from the spores!

.

No comments: